This document is the "Know, Share, Do" COVID-19 Daily Updates managers should use during staff huddles on 03.24.20.
COVID-19 Leadership Task Force Updates
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
What your team members need to know
- When possible, we will now move to implement all operational changes on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Trends show we should expect an increase in the rise of cases this week. Remember there is no better, more prepared team, than the Duke Health team to respond and provide excellent care to our patients.
- Updated visitor restrictions went into effect yesterday to protect against the spread of COVID-19. These changes align with updated visitor policies at all Triangle-area health systems. No visitors will be allowed at all Duke hospitals with limited exceptions. The full list of visitor restrictions and limited exceptions can be found on DukeHealth.org.
- We will begin screening employees for illness upon arrival to work starting this week.
- A note of gratitude was shared from Chancellor Washington yesterday which contained encouragement and inspiration for us all.
What to share with your team
- Health care worker ability to work management plan is now available on the intranet with new protocols, testing guidelines and returning to work criteria.
- All team members received a memo from Duke Health leadership regarding guidance for reporting to work and for requesting alternate work during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- In addition to implementing stricter patient and visitor screenings in our hospitals, we will enhance our team member screening procedures, beginning this week. We will work to operationalize additional procedures to screen team members for symptoms of illness before entering our facilities. More information about these screenings will be provided soon.
What your team members should do
- Stay home if you are sick. This is one of the best ways you can help our response efforts. Team members who report to work sick will be sent home immediately. If you are experiencing symptoms or have a question regarding COVID-19, please call the DUKE COVID-19 Hotline at 919-385-0429, option 1, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Starting Wednesday, March 25, the hours will be expanded from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Right now, it is not necessary for asymptomatic team members to wear masks, gloves and other PPE while at work unless you are caring for a patient in isolation or have been specifically instructed by Employee Occupational Health and Wellness.
- If you were unable to join members of the Duke COVID-19 Leadership Task Force for a virtual town hall meeting yesterday, review the livestream recording.
- Wear your ID badge between shoulder and waist with the photo side facing out at all times. Do not let visitors or patients follow you into the buildings through entrances where they would bypass screenings.
- Use the DQS huddles and the COVID-19 intranet site for daily updates, tools and resources.
- Reminder: practice good hand hygiene.
- Recognize your team members and thank them for all their work.
Please share this information at your Tier 3, 2 and 1 huddles.